Well, That Worked: Mediation on the Playground

I was helping out the usual recess supervisor this week when Phosphorus (not his real name) ran up to tell me that Francium something something something.

"Go get Francium," I said. "You cannot tell me about something Francium did without him here."

Francium came over.

"Francium," I said. "Phosphorus says you did something. Phosphorus is going to speak, and you are going to listen, and then you will have a turn to speak. All right, Phosphorus."

Phosphorus: "He pushed me down the slide, and then he poured water on me, and..." etc., etc. --

Francium: "I didn't! You --"

I: "Wait, Francium. You will have a turn in a minute."

P: "and then he, etc., etc."

I: "All right. Francium, what did Phosphorus just say?"

F: "He said that I, etc., which isn't true -"

I: "Wait, Francium, before you say whether it's true or not, just say what he said."

F: "He said that I, etc., etc."

I: "Phosphorus, is that what you said?"

P: "Yes."

I: "All right, Francium, your turn. What happened?"

F: "He asked me to push him down the slide, and..." etc., etc.

I: "Phosphorus, what did Francium just say?"

P: "I don't know."

I: "Francium, can you say it again? And this time, Phosphorus, listen."

F: "He asked me to..." etc., etc.

I: "All right, Phosphorus, what did Francium say?"

P: "He said that I asked him to, etc., etc."

I: "Francium, did he get it right?"

F: "Yes."

I: "All right, now, how would you like to resolve this?"

Both burst out laughing. "We're tired of standing here. Let's go play."

And they did.

No comments:

Post a Comment