Borei P'ri Ha'adama

I had occasion recently to introduce a couple of groups of kids to oxalis, an edible weed. Oxalis grows all over our yards here in Jacksonville, and in the forests in Portland. When I was growing up we called it sourgrass, but it isn't a grass. My kids like to call it sour hearts, which is a better description.

You can read an article about it here: Eat the Weeds.

By Dalgial - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4094197

By Krzysztof Ziarnek, Kenraiz - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=66371621


Here in Jacksonville I see the little yellow ones growing on the shul property, and the giant pink ones in most people's yards. All are edible (with qualifications - see the Eat the Weeds article linked above) but for heaven's sake, if you don't have training in plant identification, ask me in person before you go pulling things out of the yard and eating them, since every time I turn around I find another Florida plant that is poisonous. According to Seth there's a poisonous ground ivy that could be mistaken for oxalis. Seriously, don't eat things because people tell you you can on the Internet.

Anyway. So I showed the kids the plant, and said, "Now check it for bugs."
They did.
"All right," I said, "now you can eat it. The bracha is ha'adama."
They all registered a double-take, which I thought was very funny.
The thought I saw flashing through everyone's mind ran something like this:
Ha'adama! That's the bracha we make on food that comes from the produce department, not stuff that comes out of the ground! It seems as if there should be a different bracha on weeds.
But, there isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment