Middle school science textbook -- a book review

I once substitute-taught a middle school science class that adhered closely to a textbook.

I was helping students review material before a test, so I brought in a book I happen to have in my house (thanks to the person who gave it to me, if you read this):
The Complete Middle School Study Guide: Everything You Need to Ace Science in One Big Fat Notebook, by Michael Geisen.

The school had just upgraded the science textbooks to a series rumored to be excellent, but as soon as the kids flipped through my book, they loved it, and we had to set up a rotation because they clamored every day to borrow my book instead of using their big, fancy textbook with the natty page design and glossy illustrations.
We all thought this inexpensive little handbook offered clearer explanations.
I suspect part of the appeal is that unlike most middle school textbooks, it doesn't try hard to be cool; it just lays out the facts.

It's part of a series. I haven't read the other Complete Middle School Study Guides but I do think this one does a great job of explaining all the science in the middle school curriculum.

It includes review questions at the end of each chapter. I believe it could easily stand in place of a conventional textbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment