Thanks, Tiff

This random memory of good teaching just surfaced.

Once when I was in about 4th grade, we were playing baseball, and I became completely overwhelmed because people were stealing bases and I didn't have a clue what was going on. I think I was fielding second base.

The P.E. teacher, Tiffany (but the cool kids called her Tiff), noticed that I was upset, halted the game, came over, asked what was wrong, and explained what it means to steal a base.
"Do you understand?" she asked.
"No," I said.

She repeated her explanation.
"Do you understand?" she asked.
"No," I said.

She repeated her explanation.
"Do you understand?" she asked.
And this time, I did.
Triumph! Relief! Joy! The game went on and now I understood it.

...

I once got roundly scolded by an administrator for repeating an explanation to a student. "If she didn't understand, you should explain it a different way," she said.
Which is true; so I try to do that now.

But sometimes all you need is someone who will halt a game for you and say the same thing three times.

I don't know where Tiff is now but I still appreciate that she did that.
Thanks, Tiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment